Staying healthy is a primary thing we must all be concerned about in life. The World Health Organization states that Diabetes is the leading cause for people developing many physical ailments like kidney failures, heart attacks, stroke, and lower limb amputation. Therefore, keeping a tab on your blood sugar levels from the mid-’20s is always recommended to prevent any long-term health consequences. So, if you’re wondering how to naturally reduce sugar blood sugar levels with home remedies and drinks and what are the foods that potentially spike the risks for diabetics, then you’ve come to the right place.
Improper blood sugar levels can lead to various heart-related diseases. This article will discuss the causes of blood sugar rise in non-diabetics and ways to control your blood sugar levels.
In addition to it, we have also shared the recipes for detox juices or drinks for people with diabetes that can lower blood sugar significantly.
Read on to find how to bring down your blood sugar levels naturally.
What Causes Blood Sugar To rise In Non-Diabetics?
The rise in blood sugar levels in nondiabetics is medically termed “Nondiabetic hyperglycemia.” It is the condition where an individual has a high blood glucose level without being diagnosed with diabetes. It is more likely to occur major illness or physical injury.
Some other common causes for blood sugar rise in non-diabetics are:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Trauma or injury.
- Prolonged use of steroids or diuretics can cause blood sugar rise in non-diabetics.
- Obesity and physical inactivity are also significant reasons for blood sugar rise.
- Infections like pneumonia and Urinary Tract Infection
8 Hacks To Reduce Your Blood Sugar Levels
You can reduce your blood sugar levels by making small, simple changes in your lifestyle.
Here are eight easy hacks to help you bring down high blood sugar.
1. Make Water Your Best Friend
We cannot stress enough the surprising benefits of drinking water on our health.
If you are battling high sugar levels, you need to make water your best friend, which is the most inexpensive habit you can cultivate in your lifestyle.
Staying dehydrated can cause blood sugar levels to slowly rise as minimal water in the body accounts for higher blood sugar concentration.
When you have a dehydrated body for a prolonged period, it puts an extra load on the kidney to flush out the excess sugar from the system.
Therefore, staying hydrated and drinking water helps your kidney to flush out excess sugar through urine.
A 2011 study published in the journal of the American Diabetes Association has also shown that drinking water could help tackle hyperglycemia.
2. Choose Fruits Over Desserts
No doubt, eating fruits has so many miraculous benefits, one of them regulating blood sugar levels.
The research found that people who reported higher consumption of fresh fruit had a lower associated risk of developing diabetes than other participants.
A brilliant way to tackle high sugar levels is to replace all the desserts and sweet dishes with fresh fruits.
Certain fruits are perfect for bringing down sugar levels like:
- Flax seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Citrus Fruits
Moreover, adding fruits to your diet is also an excellent way to get extra nutrition.
3. Stay Active With Exercises
Exercising every day is beneficial for people with diabetes or high sugar levels.
Simple exercises like brisk walking, dancing, running, swimming, etc., can effectively bring down blood sugar levels.
Staying active can help keep your weight in control and increase insulin sensitivity, which helps break down the sugar in the body. Exercising also helps in using blood sugar for muscle and body energy.
4. Monitor Your Sugar Levels
Undoubtedlessly that prevention is better than cure, and most of the time, people are not aware of their blood glucose levels until it is too late.
Hence it is necessary to keep monitoring the blood sugar levels regularly.
Keeping track of your sugar levels can help you prevent diabetes or keep it under control. There are various machines available to help you monitor your blood sugar at home.
Usually, one should seek immediate professional help when their blood sugar levels are over 180 or below 70.
5. Manage Stress
With stress affecting nearly one-third of the world’s population, it can aggravate one’s blood sugar levels too.
When the human body is stressed, it causes your body to produce high-stress hormones that further increase blood sugar levels.
People suffering from chronic stress are at a higher risk of type 2 diabetes.
Therefore, it is imperative to manage stress through meditation, yoga, therapy, hobbies, fun activities, mindfulness, support groups, etc.
One research published in the Journal of Physical Therapy Science has found that yoga and meditation helped reduce stress and lower blood sugar levels. Moreover, it is essential to rest and get proper sleep to maintain good health.
6. Choose Portion Control
If you have diabetes or high blood sugar, you need to consider measuring what you eat.
Consequently, a study found portion control promotes weight management that lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes and can be very helpful in managing your blood sugar effectively. In addition, food containing high dietary fiber can help the body in controlling glucose levels.
Similarly, certain foods like meat, fish, leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, potatoes, etc., have a low glycemic index, decreasing blood sugar levels in the process. Moreover, one needs also to monitor the carb intake and take up a low carb diet.
7. Get Enough Quality Sleep
Sleep is a vital factor in staying healthy. However, due to our lifestyle and workload, we end up staying awake until late at night.
Sleeping habits affect our blood sugar levels. Likewise, our blood glucose control can also affect your sleep.
Lack of sleep can increase blood sugar levels, and as the number of sleep, hours decreases, blood sugar increases, leading to an increased risk of diabetes.
Your blood sugar goal at bedtime should be in the range of 90 to 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine advises adults to sleep for at least 7 hours a night.
Make sure your room is dimly lit or dark to get proper sleep. Additionally, you can also have a warm bath or shower and meditate before going to bed.
Remember to avoid caffeine at all costs before 6 hours of bedtime and reduce caffeine intake during the day.
8. Avoid Skipping Meals
6 Best Detox Drinks To Bring Down Your Blood Sugar Levels
If you are wondering how to reduce sugar levels using home remedies, here are the six best detox drinks to help you out.
1. Bitter Gourd Drink Helps Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
Ayurved medicine has been using bitter gourd or karela juice for ages. It has specific properties that work like insulin, leading glucose to cells for generating energy while also reducing blood sugar levels.
However, it is advised not to consume too much bitter gourd juice. Overconsumption of this juice can lead to certain side effects and lower blood glucose levels below the safe levels.
Diabetic Drink Recipe
Here is a simple diabetic drink recipe of a bitter gourd detox juice that you can make at home.
- Blend one green apple, ½ deseeded bitter gourd, ½ cucumber, two sticks celery, and ¼ lemon.
- You can also add a pinch of salt to reduce the bitterness and have this juice at any time of the day.
However, it is better to avoid drinking this juice first in the morning on an empty stomach. Also, if you are on anti-diabetic medicines, please consult your doctor before consuming this juice.
2. Gooseberry Juice Helps Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
Gooseberry or amla is another traditional remedy to help control blood sugar levels, especially after meals and is one of the best detox drinks for diabetics patients.
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, the antioxidants in gooseberry can help to reverse the damaging effects of oxidative stress and control pancreatitis, further helping you deal with diabetes.
Detox Gooseberry Juice Recipe:
- To make a simple detox gooseberry juice, you need to discard all the seeds from a gooseberry first.
- Then, cut it into fine pieces and blend it.
- You can also add a pinch of black salt if needed.
Consuming 5 to 10 ml of freshly squeezed juice daily can help you control diabetes and reduce blood sugar. Similarly, you can also choose to eat one amla every day instead of the juice.
Gooseberry is one of the best drinks that lowers blood sugar levels naturally.
3. Gurmar Leaves Help Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
Gurmar leaves (Gymnema Sylvestre) are also known as sugar destroyers. This herb has certain sugar absorption properties and was used to treat diabetes for thousands of years. It has the power to block sugar receptors and reduce sugar cravings.
Gurmar leaves are available in powdered form. Similarly, you can also consume this by mixing it with water after meals.
4. Fenugreek Seeds Help Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
Fenugreek seeds have been proven very helpful for people who have diabetes.
Many studies have proven that controlled consumption of fenugreek seeds can improve most metabolic symptoms associated with type 1 and type 2 diabetes in humans by lowering blood glucose levels and improving glucose tolerance.
Furthermore, you can prepare certain dishes containing fenugreek seeds. You can also soak fenugreek seeds overnight and drink the water in the morning, making it one of the best drinks that naturally lowers blood sugar levels.
5. Guava Helps Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
A study published in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research has shown that consuming guava without skin can help in reducing sugar absorption in your blood.
Guava is rich in dietary fiber and can help in lowering the chances of developing type two diabetes.
Furthermore, you can make a simple guava juice by peeling off the guava skin, finely chopping it, and blending it. Apart from this, you can also drink guava leaf tea to reduce blood sugar levels.
6. Black Jamun Helps Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
Black Jamun is also known as the Indian blackberry. It contains hypoglycemic properties and antioxidants, which help in controlling diabetes. In addition, both the flesh as well as the seeds can prove beneficial in treating blood sugar.
Additionally, you can clean, sundry, crush and store the seeds of Black Jamun in a container. You can consume one spoon of this powder along with water every morning. Make sure you do it on an empty stomach to get the best results.
In conclusion, these homemade drinks will surely be beneficial to reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. However, before starting any home remedies-based diet to reduce sugar levels, take proper consultation from experts.
Key Takeaways For Reducing Your Sugar Levels
- According to WHO, Diabetes is the leading cause for people developing many physical ailments.
- For instance, chronic diabetes leads to kidney failures, heart attacks, stroke, and lower limb amputation.
- Therefore, maintaining blood sugar levels is essential for preventing such diseases.
- The rise in blood sugar levels in non-diabetics is medically termed “Nondiabetic hyperglycemia,” where an individual has a high blood glucose level without diabetes.
- Some common causes for blood sugar rise in a non-diabetic are Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, trauma or injury, steroids or diuretics, Obesity, and Infection.
- Nonetheless, one can always tackle increased blood sugar with simple home remedies.
- For example, one study has proven that drinking enough water could help to tackle hyperglycemia.
- Furthermore, higher consumption of fresh fruit had a lower associated risk of developing diabetes.
- Avoid skipping meals as it can make your blood sugar level fluctuate.
- Exercise also plays a vital role in reducing sugar levels by increasing insulin sensitivity and breaking down the sugar in the body.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels and ensure the range is not over 180 or below 70.
- Additionally, manage your stress as people suffering from chronic stress are at a higher risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Furthermore, portion control promotes weight management that lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes and can be very helpful in managing your blood sugar effectively.
- Lastly, have a quality sleep and avoid skipping meals.
How to reduce sugar levels with home remedies?
- Drink juices that aid in lowering sugar levels.
- Eat nutritional foods like seafood, eggs, beans, lentils, broccoli, etc.
- Have a quality sleep routine.
- Engage in physical movements regularly.
- Manage your stress levels with the help of yoga practice.
What is the list of foods that raises blood sugar levels?
- Sugary drinks and beverages.
- White bread
- Breakfast cereals
- Maple syrup
- Packaged food
What are your thoughts on how to reduce sugar levels using home remedies? Do you know any more tips? Are you aware of any other detox drinks for people with diabetes? Share your thoughts in the comments below. We love to hear from you!
Subscribe to us for more useful articles. To stay tuned with us, you can also follow our social media channels mentioned below.