When I realized that I really wanna put down some weight, I went on searching all kinds of weight-loss diets on the internet. One that struck me, other than the Mediterranean diet is the keto diet. If you are you planning to start a new diet, well then Keto Diet Plan may be the right fit for you. In fact, there are various delicious vegetarian and non-vegetarian recipes in keto diet recipes that can fit the regular Indian diet too. Read on to know more about my Keto Diet Meal Plan.
Before we plan the keto diet for beginners, let us understand what is keto all about.
Keto Diet Explained
If you trace the history of the ketogenic diet, you will see that first it was discovered in 500 BC for medical purposes and when they observed it they found that keto diet can be beneficial for treating people who have epilepsy.
Keto Diet – Why It Has Taken the Whole World by Storm
Later modern physicians studied this dieting strategy and re-introduced it for the treatment of childhood epilepsy back in the year 1920. Physicians found this as a natural way to cure epilepsy, and it produced excellent results for at least 2 decades.
Then the pharmaceutical companies came up with anti-epileptic drugs to counter this medical condition and slowly the conventional type of treatment started to fade.
From the past 15 years keto diet has been a topic of interest and is a widely researched subject, but this time the scientist found that it is useful for fat loss as well since the fundamental nature of keto diet is to be high on fat.
Keto Diet – Turns Your Body into a Fat Burning Furnace
You may wonder how does the keto diet or the high-fat diet plays a role in fat loss?
When you deprive the body of glucose coming from carbohydrates the body switches over its energy source.
So instead of taking energy from carbohydrates, the body produces fuel from fats and enters a state of ketosis producing ketone bodies from which the body extracts energy.
As fat takes more energy to burn; hence more fat loss can be achieved making keto diet one of the most sought after dieting strategy attracting almost everyone to jump on the bandwagon.
The crucial part about following a keto diet is if any of the macronutrient ratio or the percentages change and if they are not according to the food measurements or if you exceed the limit of 50g carbohydrate per day, then you will be out of ketosis and have to start all over again.
Keto Diet – Elixir of Life
A study was done regarding the keto diet and observed that it is very beneficial for chain smokers.
Chain smokers mostly suffer from respiratory failure which occurs due to excess of carbon dioxide in the blood making it tough for the lungs to flush them out from the body.
The ratio of oxygen intake in comparison with the elimination of carbon dioxide from the body goes off balance harming the body due to high carbon dioxide. So in such cases, it is best to reduce the extra CO2 to achieve stability in respiratory function.
Let’s discussed something called RQ – respiratory quotient which is nothing but CO2 eliminated and divided by oxygen consumed.
The human body constantly needs carbohydrates, protein, and fat for smooth functioning as well as to carry out other activities.
So every macronutrient is measured in terms of how much carbon dioxide it can eliminate for a particular amount of oxygen inhaled.
Let’s see the examples below:
Carbohydrate – 1
Protein – 0.8 – 0.9
Fats – 0.7
Now keeping in mind the above chart when you eat carbohydrates the respiratory function stays the same, but when you look at protein and fat, it is less than 1 which means the carbon dioxide released is lesser than oxygen consumed compared to the same units.
So it is always beneficial to cultivate a habit of eating more protein and fats; this is where keto diet plays a big role in achieving this. Because the keto diet is high in fat, moderate in protein and very low in carbohydrates, thereby helping you to achieve excess fat loss.
If you’re a newbie to Keto, you may be looking for Keto diet recipes or keto diet plan. So without further ado, let’s take a look at the keto diet chart, keto diet menu for beginners and keto diet recipes.
Keto Diet Menu for Beginners and Keto Diet Recipes
Keto diet is high in fat, moderate in protein and very low in carbohydrates so based on this macronutrient combination let us see the type of recipes one needs to include in their diet.
Fat Percentage In Your Diet
A typical macronutrient ratio would be where fats have their maximum share so almost 60 to 75% calories should come from fat; it can be more also depending on factors like the individual’s workout volume, intensity.
Protein Percentage In Your Diet
Then comes protein which should be typically in the range of 15 to 30% so calories coming from protein should be around this range.
Carb Percentage In Your Diet
Then the last one is carbohydrates which is a minimal part consisting of only 5 to 10% of calories.
Now we will see how a vegetarian and nonvegetarian keto diet looks. So let’s begin with a vegetarian keto diet. Nowadays even vegetarians consume eggs because of their exceptional health benefits.
Vegetarian Keto Diet Plan For Beginners
There are various Indian and vegetarian keto diet recipes.
- Upon waking up have apple cider vinegar by diluting it in water. This beverage improves insulin sensitivity resulting in better metabolic rate hence leading to a higher fat loss.
- Whole eggs for breakfast.
- Non-starchy vegetable salad for lunch: zucchini, cauliflower, leafy greens, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, and some yogurt. Tofu along with some nuts can be a great alternative for lunch.
- Whey protein shake after a workout.
- Almonds for evening snacks.
- For dinner cottage cheese cooked in butter or coconut oil. Or a simple soup with vegetables of your choice.
Using herbs and spices while preparing meals is also a good idea; this will make the food more palatable and easy on the stomach since the keto diet can be very monotonous at times.
• Spices like turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, parsley leaves, and chili flakes. Paprika, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin seeds, basil leaves, oregano, nettle leaf, fennel seeds, psyllium, bay leaf, and fenugreek. All these will add that aroma.
• Fluids allowed on the keto diet are black coffee, black tea, herbal tea, water. Make sure that you do not consume milk, any sugary drinks, and milkshakes.
Vegetables like broccoli, green beans, lettuce, spinach, kale, zucchini, cauliflower, asparagus, and salads are an excellent source of carbohydrates on the keto diet.
So what happens when one consumes milk, sugary drinks or when you exceed the 50 g per day carbohydrates limit you will be out of ketosis as discussed above, and then you will have to start all over again. So it is crucial to keep in mind the above points.
Also, calories from green vegetables do not count. Consume at least 5 to 6 liters of water every day. While making the dishes out of the ingredients mentioned above, one needs to keep in mind the quantity of cottage cheese, oil, butter, clarified butter (ghee).
Non-Vegetarian Keto Diet Plan Menu
Now let’s look at a nonvegetarian keto diet.
- If one works out in the morning, then a pre-workout black coffee is an excellent idea as it has a property of natural fat burner.
- Post-workout whey protein 1 scoop is beneficial.
- Apple cider vinegar plays a vital role if consumed as a beverage by diluting it with water because of its properties as it’s a fermented drink made from crushed apples. Apple cider vinegar increases the feeling of fullness. Satiety which helps people eat fewer calories, and easier to follow the keto diet as the overall calories consumed are less.
- Whole eggs for breakfast or chicken breast cooked in butter or coconut oil as they are high in fat.
- Lunch can be the same as breakfast cooked in butter or coconut oil, adding yogurt is a good option here for variety.
- Almonds, walnuts can be added as an evening snack as they are rich in healthy fats and keeps you satiated.
- Dinner can be similar to lunch and breakfast, but if one prefers a variety here, then eggs or chicken can be replaced with a fish fillet.
- But fish cooked in butter or coconut oil is more beneficial as discussed above.
It is always beneficial to observe how our bodies react when following any diet. Keto diet is no exception. Yes, it is an excellent strategy for obese people to follow. But one should not go against the body’s signal towards how one feels the whole day.
Remember to consult with your doctor to follow any serious diet strategy or if any adverse effects observed. There are various other Indian recipes that you can prepare during the Keto diet.
It is also essential to add supplements like multivitamins and omega 3. This is because a Keto diet is high in fat. And the body needs vitamins and minerals for many activities, and one of them is fat absorption.
Vitamin A, D, E, and K help in fat absorption. So they are very crucial when following a keto diet. Hence adding these supplements to a beginner keto diet plan along with beginners keto diet recipe is a great idea.
Key Takeaways On Keto Diet Meal Plan
- “Ketogenic” (Keto diet) is a term for a low-carb diet.
- When you deprive the body of glucose coming from carbohydrates the body switches over its energy source.
- A study was done regarding the keto diet and observed that it is very beneficial for chain smokers.
- There are various delicious vegetarian and non-vegetarian Indian recipes in keto diet.
- Because the keto diet is high in fat, moderate in protein and very low in carbohydrates, thereby helping you to achieve excess fat loss.
So go ahead and try this fantastic keto dieting strategy. Feel free to share your experience in the comments section. Have you heard about the Paleo diet? Here’s a complete beginner’s guide on the Paleo diet. Go check it out!
Share your thoughts in our comments section. Stay tuned with us for more interesting content by subscribing to our website. We are also available on the below social media channels.