Did you know that only 8% of the population successfully achieve their goals in life? While the rest fail to make it in life, it’s also necessary to understand that it is a daunting task to achieve what we want with the increasingly demanding lifestyle. We often relate achievements with luck or inborn skills, but overlook our potential. So, how can you achieve what you want in life? The answer to this question might be simple. It all boils down to having a growth mindset that makes it inevitable to get what you want in life. So, how to master the art of achieving everything you want or need in life? Well, that’s exactly what we are going to delve deep into in this post.
But before we get into this post, let’s quickly understand the primary difference between “What you want” and “what you need” because the line between want and need often gets diluted.
First of All, What are Your “Wants” and “Needs”?
There is a subtle difference between a want and a need.
Want can be classified into feelings where a person wishes to accomplish their desires, and it is not necessary for survival. In contrast, need is something that a living organism needs to sustain in life. For example, humans need oxygen to survive. To make it futher clear, here are some examples of wants and needs.
Examples of wants:
- A successful career
- An expensive car
- Your dream house
- Respect from others
Examples of needs:
- Social security
Why do We fail To Accomplish Our Wants And Desires In Life?
We keep trying but fail to understand that we face a lot of resistance to achieve what we want in life: both internal and external. This external resistance can be worked through, but when we lose hope and our confidence hits low, it can be our biggest hindrance between us and our goals. The most crucial goal for self-accomplishment is we should not allow this internal resistance to come in the way of achieving what we want.
Many advisers promise the way of getting what you want is closer to home within us. It is right in front of us, through:
- Proper planning
Here’s a brief discussion on how the above factors can make you unable to achieve everything you want or need in life.
1. Lack of Confidence
According to the survey research by My Confidence Matters, 70% of people at work struggle with low confidence and feel apprehension while speaking up. To be honest, the survey results are quite distressing because confidence plays a significant role in accomplishing personal and professional goals.
Furthermore, low confidence only holds back a person from attaining their true potential, which is crucial to climbing the workplace’s success ladder.
Sadly, most of us don’t speak up in spite of having different opinions and value-ads that can help solve the problem in hand. The primary thing to keep in mind to mastering the art of getting what you want is to speak up.
2. Strategic Planning
Strategic planning is imperative to getting anything you want in life. A man without a plan may only end up where luck favors him, not where he wants to reach in life. Apparently, proper planning is a significant contributing factor to attain organizational goals.
A study from the Harvard Business Review claims that a company’s growth is directly associated with its plans surrounding its employees. For example, large multinational corporates like Accenture, IBM, and Capgemini strategically plan training processes for their new talent to feel welcomed. And needless to say, without a strategic plan, meeting companies targets cannot be met.
The proper planning strategy is not only beneficial for big organizations but also for personal growth that further helps an individual equip themselves with the tools to accomplish their needs.
Another primary reason why people can’t accomplish what they want in life is a lack of perseverance.
Staying committed to your goals despite difficulties is a vital element that makes a person mentally strong; pushing them forward to make it big in life. Therefore, a lack of perseverance will strikingly stall your potential to grow in life.
How To Master The Art Of Getting What You Want In Life?
To achieve what your heart and soul desire, follow these simple yet achievable rules to master the art of getting what you want with confidence.
1. Set Short-Term Goals & Achieve Them
Setting goals is the first step to achieve what you desire. When we talk about goals, it is good to set S.M.A.R.T goals.
While S.M.A.R.T goals are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound, goals can also be classified as follows:
- Small Goals: These are the goals that are pragmatic, achievable, and lay the foundation to achieve your actual goal. And hence are the first step to achieve that ultimate goal.
- Bigger Goals: Bigger goals are a bit difficult and require hard work and determination. For instance, if your goal is to win a marathon, the bigger goal would be to practice running the total distance in a given time as required by the race.
- The Ultimate Goal: The ultimate goal is the real and ideal goal you wish to achieve in the long run.
According to the Personnel Psychologystudy, it was revealed that people with better clarity about their goal setting are more likely to accomplish their goals.
Therefore, if you’re clear about your “why” of your desires and wants, you’ll be able to easily map out a goal that will move you towards success.
2. Be Unapologetic
If you know exactly what you want and deserve, do not let anyone doubt or question your choices. It’s common to feel dread when voicing out your opinions not only at the workplace, but sometimes amidst friends and family too.
However, you must not feel sorry for who you are. Showing a lack of confidence undermines your self-worth and gives a chance to others to make you feel less.
3. Communicate And Ask For What You Deserve
Most of us shy away from asking, whereas we fail to realize that the thing we want to achieve cannot come to fruition unless we ask for it.
Did you know that 70% of people found a job through networking in a company? And the reason they got the job is because of being proactive and affirmative to their career needs. This shows the importance of asking for whatever you deserve.
Sometimes the smallest negotiations can lead to some of the biggest opportunities in life. So, go ahead and ask for that raise, demand for that new job role you’ve been waiting, request for remot work. Remember opportunities always don’t knock the door, you have to go knocking doors.
4. Pick Up And Start Over
Many people don’t get everything in life because of the fear attached to failure. It’s common to consider fear as a negative emotion, but at the same time, you can use your fear as fuel to win over it.
Surprisingly, 33% of Americans have a fear of starting their own business. Instead of seeing fear as an obstacle, it could be used as a weapon to do better in life. And one way to tackle fear is by gaining the right kind of information and knowledge.
Some of the steps that you can take to increase your knowledge are by:
- Applying for online courses on Udemy, Coursera, Google Learning, LinkedIn, and Skillshare courses.
- Enrolling is a class for training yourself in your preferred domain.
- Networking with working professionals.
We have more setbacks than success, but undoubtedly these setbacks make success sweeter. Because at the end of the day, you won’t be able to value success if you haven’t experienced failure.
5. Try A Different Route
Sometimes things don’t turn out the way you expect, despite giving your 100%. Experimenting and perhaps change your career path, can help you achieve what you want in life.
For instance, if you’re trying to earn more money, and you cannot achieve your goals with your day job, try out stock market. This way, keep exploring and investing in yourself until you find the right way to get things done.
Change your direction, take an off-trodden path, and life may surprise you on the way.
6. Work On Yourself To Be Smart, Confident, And Persistent
Learn to cultivate confidence right from the beginning. And confidence comes within when you’re knowledgeable and know what you are doing.
Don’t second guess your decisions, always make informed decisions and be prepared for setbacks. No matter what, try to get outside your comfort zone and keep your confidence boosting.
Lastly, where there is a will there is a way. If you want to accomplish your goals direly, you would always find a way. After all, perseverance is the stepping stone to success!
7. Have A Vision Board
The idea of vision board were made popular by a handful life coaches and celebrities like Oprah Winfrey. The concept mainly revolves around the Law of Attration, meaning our thoughts when aligned effectively can turn into reality.
A study shows an interesting fact that one in every five small business owners uses a vision board to envision their dream life. And people who practice visualization for their goals are less anxious about budgeting and feel more satisfied and victorious.
Also, 82% of small biz owners claim to have achieved more than half of their goals by using a vision board.
While there are no scientific studies backing the idea of vision boards, there is no harm using one if you feel like having it for motivation.
Here are some tips for a vision board.
- First, list down all your goals in a notepad.
- Now, cut out pictures from magazines that align with your goals.
- For instance, if you want to buy a house, consider clipping pictures of homes to inspire you.
- Lastly, place your vision board in such a place where it’s always visible to the eyes—for example, your work desk or in your bedroom.
8. Choose The Right People
If you want to fulfill your dreams, you must surround yourself with people with the same vision. Real growth happens when you surround yourself with people smarter than you.
A Harvard study has revealed that having relationships with the right people positively impacts your physical and emotional health and boosts memory power.
And good brain health promotes creativity, better decision-making skills, and critical thinking. Thus, if you ever find yourself questioning “how to get everything you want in life,” the answer is to surround yourself with good people who instill motivation in you.
Here are some interesting reads on choosing the right people in your life:
- Why Must You Hang Out With People Who Force You To Level Up?
- Signs Of Toxic Co-workers And How To Deal With Them Tactically?
- 10 Types Of Toxic People You Should Avoid In Life
In conclusion to this post, one should always go after goals that help them become a better version of themselves because anything else is superficial. That is why you get what you need in life and not what you want.
Share your comments below and spread these motivational words to achieve what you want in life to your near and dear ones.
Key Takeaways On How To Get What You Want In Life
- Life gives you what you need and not what you want.
- Need is essential to sustain in life, whereas wants are the personal desires that humans possess.
- However, many people fail to accomplish their personal needs in life.
- Apparently, only 8% of the population successfully achieve their goals.
- A lack of confidence, proper planning, and perseverance are the contributing factors to not accomplishing goals and desires.
- However, having a clear understanding of your goals can guide you to fulfill your goals in the long run.
- Also, being unapologetic and asking head-on is essential to grab any opportunities that you seek.
- Don’t be afraid to fail when you embark on a new journey, as failing is a crucial growth process.
- Feed your mind with the right knowledge and information to conquer fear.
- If something doesn’t work out, don’t waste time and consider changing your approach towards that goal.
- Have a vision board in your arsenal, as many successful people use visualization techniques to attain their goals.
- Lastly, surround yourself with people who have the same vision and mindset as yours as they positively impact your physical and emotional growth.
How to get what you want in life?
- Be affirmative of your goals.
- Don’t fear asking and be unapologetic.
- Learn from your failures.
- Surround yourself with good people.
- And never forget to wear your confidence hat.
What’s the difference between “want” and “need”?
In short, wants are your personal desires, wishes, and demands, whereas needs are essential for survival.
Why does life always give what you need and not what you want?
Life doesn’t always give what you want because there are better things that you deserve more. Life always has something bigger planned out for you.
Follow us on our social media channels and stay connected with us.
Do not forget to subscribe with us and stay tuned.